I shamefully admit I have been a bit spendy the past few months – my wardrobe needed updating, it was my birthday, Christmas is coming up… but, I know I needed to cut back.
I thought about the whole minimalism thing again and I remembered how much happier I was when I cut down and didn’t buy anything for six months. So, I’m going to try and do that again.
I’m saving for a house and for many adventures, and to me, those seem more ideal.
So, today I want to share a few tips for saving money.
1) Use what you have. 8 times out of 10, you have more clothes than you’ll need. Use what you have already, you don’t need another jumper when you have twenty already. Same goes to shoes and make-up. If you’re like me, my make-up stash is ridiculous and out of that stash I tend to use about nine products every day. So, don’t be afraid to hit pan and use what you’ve got wisely.
2) Stay in for the weekend and watch films, or binge watch a Netflix series. There’s something really satisfying about cosying up and watching a film or Stranger Things for the weekend. Sometimes you need a bit of down time and it’ll save you money too!
3) Read books. Likewise to watching films, there’s nothing better than taking a bath and reading a good old book. I’m guilty of buying books and never reading them – so I’m gonna pick them up in the next few months and enjoy some down time. Embrace it – like a digital detox.
4) Invite your friends over. You don’t need to do something fancy to see your friends, instead invite them over, chat and buy ASDA’s create your own pizzas if you’re on a budget.
5) If you blog, use products that you already own. I’ve found myself saving so much money by writing about things that I already own, or writing lifestyle typed posts like this one.
6) Organise and de-clutter your home. There’s nothing more satisfying than a good old de-clutter session. Spend a couple of weekends getting really organised and remove/take things down the charity shop. Alternatively you could sell things on eBay/Shpock, or do a car-boat sale.
7) Stop using your credit card (if you have one)! This is a real hard one for me as I put most of my spendings on my credit card… but I need to stop and just use my debit card.
8) Make Christmas gifts. You could make some food gifts like chilli jam or bake some cookies. Or you could make a scrapbook filled with lots of memories and photographs. Another idea would be to create some home-made lip scrubs.
What are your tips for saving money? Leave them in the comments below.